As you are preparing for finals and the upcoming summer break, the Office of Financial Aid is looking forward to the Fall 2018 semester. We want to provide you with financial aid action items and two financial aid policies.
Student To-Do List
1) Complete your 2018-2019 FAFSA as soon as possible.
· 002962 – Shaw University’s School Code
2) If selected for verification, submit the requested documents as soon as possible.
· The Office of Financial Aid will notify you, via mail and email, if selected for verification.
3) Monitor your BearsNet account throughout the summer break.
· View the financial aid documents requested and received, as well as your 2018-19 award.
4) Register for Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 courses.
· Once registered, we will review your financial aid file and complete your award letter.
The Office of Financial Aid also wants to inform you of our institutional policies regarding institutional aid and non-institutional aid (outside scholarships).
Students can receive only one (1) institutional scholarship or grant; however, if you are offered multiple scholarships/grants, Shaw University will honor the largest dollar amount of a single award offered. Institutional aid includes the following funds: Shaw Education Grants, Athletic Scholarships, Band Scholarships, Choir Scholarships and Presidential Scholarships. The Office of Financial Aid communicates with all departments when completing your award; however, on occasion, you are awarded a scholarship after your initial award is complete. For example: In your initial award, you are awarded a $3,500 Shaw Education Grant; subsequently, you are awarded a $9,000 Band Scholarship. Your revised award would remove the $3,500 Shaw Education Grant and replace it with the $9,000 Band Scholarship.
Non-Institutional Aid (Outside Scholarships)
Non-Institutional aid must be considered when completing your award. When the Office of Financial Aid receives notification of non-institutional aid (such as a UNCF scholarship) and your total award exceeds Shaw University’s cost of attendance (as defined by the Department of Education), it is necessary to reduce a portion of your existing award. When reducing your award, we will reduce funds in the following order:
1) Direct PLUS Loan
2) Direct Unsubsidized Loan
3) Direct Subsidized Loan
4) Federal Work-Study
5) Institutional funds (Please note that it is rare that we are required to reduce institutional funds.)
If you have any questions about this information, please schedule an appointment to speak with Ms. Amy Hoss, Interim Director of Financial Aid; her office is in Debnam Hall.
Best of luck with your upcoming finals! We look forward to seeing you next fall.Amy Hoss
Interim Director, Financial Aid
919-546-8240 | firstname.lastname@example.org
George C. Debnam Building, 1st Floor
P: 800-475-6190 or 919-546-8275
OFFICE HOURS: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m